The Rhodes Colossus

The Rhodes Colossus
published in the British magazine Punch, 1892

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Abraham Lincoln a hero???

I'm curious as to what you all think about the following passage that was said by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War (found it online, might not be legit)

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not to either save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

Do you believe he said this? Did he declare the Emancipation proclamation because he wanted an end to slavery or just to preserve the union?

6 comments:

  1. I've read many blacks were pleased with this, but the government didn't keep all their promises, which was a lot worse then now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't answer the question...Let me rephrase it: Do you think the following paragraph above that is in quotations was said by Abraham Lincoln, its quite harsh and people do look at him as a hero. Do you think he had positive intentions while signing the Emancipation Proclamation, to save the people that are being exploited?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe even that he had double motives? There are many possibilities for which many people have different opinions, some of them prejudiced, others more educated and unbiased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. man union or no union if u see a people in the state of which africans were suffering from its either you help them or u dont there isnt a i dont care these people are suffering being stripped out of there every huamn rights you telling how they end up doesnt matter to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. when you want to help you help you help when you can if you dont want to help you wont help period

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll never know why he signed the papers. But I’ll think positive and say he signed it because he was a great man and wanted to stop the slavery. In the end of the day he was the one who signed it and the one that tried to stop it, before him no one cared, so I have to give him a lot of respect. If he had not signed it how many more years would the black’s struggler?

    ReplyDelete